SubjectRe: Adding checkpointing API to Linux kernel
glew@cs.wisc.edu (Andy Glew)  wrote on 19.01.99 in <36A4C42F.8185871D@cs.wisc.edu>:

> An "interposition device driver" is a fairly nice and easy
> thing to do here - e.g. one that invokes arbitrary added
> code when a system call is done. This code might be:
> in the kernel (gack); in a separate process, when it really
> amounts to "debug breakpoint on trap", where it will be
> too slow for many applications, but fast enough for some
> (such as the simulations I run); or perhaps using code/data
> memory added to the original program as transparently
> as possible.
>
> This is a special case of intercepting an arbitrary API.
> It is not as general. But it is more universally reliable
> than the binary editting approach.

Try a combined approach for speed: use debug-at-trap to find traps, then
try to install a patch at the invoking point to redirect to faster
debugless intercept code.

Of course, for new, not statically linked processes, LD_PRELOAD is almost
always better. Have a look at the Debian libtricks package, which uses
this to do all sorts of interesting stuff.

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:1.586 / U:0.932 seconds]