SubjectMultiple applications using sound drivers?
Date
Having used UNIX for a few years here in university, I am fully aware of
devices being locked while they are in use. My distributed networks class has
taught me the importance of that (we tend to do a lot of programming
assignments dealing with file locking and IPC messaging).

However, there is a feature that I wish Linux had that Windows (shudder) offers
- multiple programs accessing the sound card at once. In Linux, it appears
that (correct me if I'm wrong) when an application wants to use the soundcard,
it has to lock /dev/dsp, thus not allowing other programs to use it at the
same time. Under Windows, multiple applications can write to the soundcard at
once.

The reason why I ask if it is possible to do this under Linux is simple. I
tend to play a lot of MP3 files (using X11Amp), and I also have Licq running.
While I'm playing MP3 files, Licq can't play sounds when a message comes in.
Is there any way to allow this? I realize that it goes against standard UNIX
principles, but...

This would also allow me to hook up the Speaker Out to Mic In on my SB AWE64
and record RealAudio streams off the net (there's this one song I want to get,
but I can't find it anywhere).

Does anybody have a solution, or is it just not possible?

I'm not on the mailing list, but I do read the archives everyday, so it's not
really necessary to copy my e-mail address in a response.

Thanks for any info,
Joe

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.139 / U:0.048 seconds]