SubjectRe: [offtopic] Re: 2.2.2: 2 thumbs up from lm
Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> Realtime has turned out to be a "buzzword" which is supposed to mean
> "better" than something else. A realtime Operating System is something
> that the designer(s) decided was "realtime" with no qualification
> required.
>
> In some cases, realtime seems to mean that a user-mode thread can
> be executed in the context of an interrupt (callbacks, etc.). In
> others, realtime means the scheduler will be notified during an
> ISR so that a task, waiting for ISR data, will get the CPU as
> soon as possible. All these things are tricks from a programmer's
> tool-box which can be used to help prevent external events from
> getting old. They, themselves, do not define realtime.
>
> I just read an article from some Industry rag about using Java in
> embeded realtime applications. I was about to fire off a letter
> to the Publisher explaining that such crap was BS, etc. However,
> I started to think about how many things you could make using
> Java in its "realtime" application.

You seem to think "realtime" computing has a wishy-washy definition.
Not so.

One of the key points of a realtime system is that any latencies be
bounded. That's something you'd have one hell of job claiming for a lot
of OS/app combinations. Don't mistake "usually adequately fast" for
"realtime".

Neil

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:1.118 / U:0.796 seconds]