SubjectRe: PROBLEM: cdrecord fails with "Cannot send SCSI command via IOCTL" with Kernel 2.2.1
From beckerra@rumms.uni-mannheim.de Mon Feb 22 21:15:24 1999

>Daniel SILVERSTONE wrote:

>> cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
>
>> This only happens with kernel 2.2.1 and if I boot back in 2.0.35SuSE it's
>> fine.

>Same as for me ... under 2.0.36 it works fine, under 2.2.1 it doesnŽt
>want to find some memory, but i know I have enough absolutely free
>RAM.
>
>> Please e-mail me when things have been sorted. It is a pain to reboot
>> between kernels when I want to write CD's but there is no way of getting
>> my sound card (PCI PnP one) to work happily with 2.0 and at the moment
>> I can't write with 2.2

>Same for me ... I donŽt want to reboot only for roasting a cd ... it
>feels a little bit like Wi______s to fix problems by rebooting the
>mashine :-(

>####
>Somebody told me therŽs a Patch to fix that thing ... but I donŽt know
>where to find it (does anybody here know about the mailinglist
>"linux-scsi" or something like this?)

This problem is reported many times with newerr kernels.

1) It id definitely not a cdeecord problem.

2) It may go away if you recompile cdrecord so that it adopts to the actual
values in /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/sg.h
These values must be the values of the runing kernel due to the
dump sg uer interface.

3) It should go away if the kernel is compiles with the right values (see above)

4) ... or it may be caused by a loabdable sg driver which cannot get enough
memory that is suitable for DMA.

I hope this problem will be fixed soon as it causes me much much work
wich could be used better for cdrecord ....

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
schilling@fokus.gmd.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.036 / U:1.996 seconds]