SubjectRe: [ANN] new mailing list
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 12:52:09PM +0100, Rik van Riel wrote:

(maybe we need a mailing list to discuss mailing list issues :)

> Hmm, what do you think we could do to reduce the traffic
> on linux-kernel? The way it is now it's so busy that it
> actually hampers the debugging of the kernel and helping
> people with problems.

You could do something really wacky like:

Make it impossible to post to linux-kernel directly; people have to post
to the 'sub-lists', then all messages to the sub lists are combined and sent
to linux-kernel subscribers. That way people have to choose the appropriate
sub-list to post to, and people who don't want to sub to the whole linux-kernel
package can choose sub-lists.

How you get people to post to the right list and not to cc to irrelevent ones
is still a problem though. In most real world systems, it tends to be the
people who are the problem :)

S.

--
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms. There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of