    SubjectRe: weird behaviour of mv between filesystems
    Helge Hafting wrote the following:
    > > > Neither -- mv invoked to move data between files systems copies from
    > > > source to dest. then chown's and chmods the destination to match the
    > > > source.
    > > >=20
    > > > I would guess your destination is FAT which doesn't support the
    > > > above... so the warnings are more or less harmless.
    > >
    > > =2E.. and result in the original files not being deleted.
    > Reasonable I think - the ownership information could be
    > valuable, loosing it without warning could be nasty sometimes.

    Aye. Wish there was a flag that one could use that said something
    along the lines of "cease caring about things that cannot be set on
    a particular filesystem" and just do it.

    > ext2-formatted zipdrives solves this.

    Maybe so, but I also have vfat partitions on the HD that I move data
    onto from the linux partition. all in all it's very annoying. I expect
    the mv command to well... move. I already know the limitations and have
    decided I could live with em.

    What package is mv in? file-utils? Is such a flag as above possible
    without adding something to the kernel that'd allow a filesystem
    to report it's capabilities?

    CaT ( URL:

    An electricity provider of New Hampshire, US has advised it's customers
    that in the event of a power failure they can log on to its website for
    more information... - Paraphrased from the New Scientist, Feb 6, 1999

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.019 / U:16.180 seconds]