SubjectRe: apropos FibreChannel & Linux
Date

> hi all,
> Here in my lab, we are developing a device driver for InterPhase 6526,
> HP Tachyon based FC card. I try to take QLogicFC as my reference driver.
> Of course it's somewhat hard as QLogicFC card seems to have straight
> support for SCSI->FCP translation. Instead, the HP Tachyon chip
> complexity is less masked by the PCI<->TSI(Tachyon System Interface)
> logic.
> now the questions:
> 1) it could be reasonable to create a mid/low layer FC driver
> architecture, as for SCSI, couldn't it be ?
> I know of "linux/drivers/fc4/*" but it seems too customized for the SUN
> card.

drivers/fc4 aims to be that layer. If you look into vger CVS, there is an
update to drivers/fc4, which adds another FC card and FC-AL topology
support, ie. what will you see in most cases.
If you mean those #ifdef __sparc__ in the code, then don't worry. That's a
workaround for severe deficiency in Linux generic bus layer, and myself and
Martin Mares intend to rewrite that layer so that all those ifdefs will
simply disappear.

> 2) is it instead meant that FC has to be under the SCSI layer ?

fc4 should contain generic fibre channel support and then support for
different protocols, like FCP SCSI, HIPPI, IP over FC, etc., so we should
not limit ourselves to SCSI.

Please take what's in vger (or tell me and I'll send you patch) and tell me
what you miss for your card there and I'll work with you on fixing it.
The layer was just written with knowledge about just two different host
adaptors, but once it will support more devices, I hope it will become more
generic. In fact, it fc.c should be probably split so that it makes clear
what is generic code and what is SCSI specific code.

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University