SubjectRe: strange printing behavior
On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Jens-Uwe Rumstich wrote:

> Since Linux2.2 I have to reboot my computer just to print.
> I am printing quite seldom, therefore I switch my printer only on just
> before printing and switch it off, when I am ready. This worked
> pretty well with the 2.0.x-Kernels.
> Since Kernel 2.2 the kernel seems to detect the hardware on lp* while
> booting, and if I switch on the printer later, the kernel ignores it
> and I can not print without a reboot.

Just so that the archive contains the answer to this question (dealt with
in private mail), the problem was that "lp=auto" had crept in to the
kernel command line. This has the effect of only setting lp up on ports
with IEEE1284 device IDs corresponding to printers.

When the printer is off, it doesn't respond to the IEEE1284 device ID
probe, and so lp decides that there can't be anything interesting there.

Tim.
*/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.044 / U:0.488 seconds]