SubjectRe: Questions about the new kernel
Hi,

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 07:46:01AM -0500, el mono wrote:

> 2- How can i update my /dev files, some minor and major nodes have been
> changed. I know that i can use the devices.txt file but i will have to use
> mknod and there are too many devices. Is there a script or some other
> application to do this?

Is there not a MAKEDEV script kicking around (probably in your dev dir)?
Mine was ancient, but a quick look through located a section like this:

pty[p-s])
# Currently limited to 64 master/slave pairs.
bank=`suffix $arg pty`
base=`index pqrs $bank`
base=`math $base \* 16`
for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
do
j=`index 0123456789abcdef $i`
makedev pty$bank$i c 2 `math $base + $j` $tty
makedev tty$bank$i c 3 `math $base + $j` $tty
done
;;

And I just updated the two makedev .. lines shown above to use the new no.s.
I don't know if anything else changed. There's probably an up-to-date MAKEDEV
available from somewhere, but I don't know where. I always figured this should
be part of the kernel source, seeing device no.s are kernel defined.

Alternatively, you could try devfs..

> kmod. See Documentation/kmod.txt for more information. The main
> user-level change this requires is modification to your init scripts to
> check for the absence of /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe before starting
> kerneld.

This is so you can boot back into 2.0 or early 2.1 kernels should you want;
if you don't intend to do this, just eliminate kerneld from your scripts
completely. If you might want to boot 2.0, only start kerneld if the above
file is missing (it is present on kernel versions which use kmod).

Don't forget you might want a cron job to remove your unused modules..

S.

--
There was a young man of St. John's
Who wanted to bugger the swans.