    SubjectRe: New new enhanced memory detection patch; testers wanted
    In article <linux.kernel.7am4ln$4lh$>,
    H. Peter Anvin <> wrote:
    >Followup to: <7am09p$>
    >By author: o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s (david parsons)
    >In newsgroup:
    >> The memory detect scheme I wrote for Linux 1.2.13 and 2.0.x has become
    >> obsolete. Since I wrote it, many many bioses have stopped supporting
    >> int 15h, 0e801h for extended memory detection and instead gone over to
    >> int 15h, 0e820h. So, I've tweaked my memory detect patch to use 0e820
    >> as well as 0e801 and 088
    >Which BIOSes would that be?? That seems quite odd -- you don't just
    >discontinue something like that.

    Well, I know that the bios on the HP Omnibook 5700 doesn't support
    e801 (it says it does, but e801 only returns 10mb on my 128mb home
    machine) and that the bios on the FIC 601(V?) motherboard doesn't

    Apparently e820 is the recommended Windows way of detecting memory,
    because you can map around memory holes with it. And since nobody
    in the computing world gives a damn about backwards compatability
    unless it's forced on them at gunpoint, e801 becomes simply an
    inconvenient entry point which you can either ignore or return
    garbage in.

    david parsons \bi/ Having this pre-patch list out what each memory
    \/ detect scheme detects is, umm, eye-opening.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.023 / U:0.092 seconds]