    SubjectRe: TCP hangs over PPP on kernel 2.2.1, ok on 2.0.36
    Franklin Johnson wrote:

    > All of this works fine on 2.0.36 with similar kernel config options.
    >
    > I've installed kernel 2.2.1 and it boots just fine. My local network (on
    > 192.168.1.0) works great.
    >
    > But TCP doesn't seem to function over the PPP interface. I can ping and
    > traceroute hosts all over the place without a problem but if I try to
    > telnet to a host the connection hangs after "Escape character is '^]'."
    > Ftp exhibits just about the same behavior. Netstat reports established
    > connections and ifconfig shows incoming and outgoing packets with no
    > errors. When telnet is killed, netstat shows a fin_wait1 like forever.
    > Since I can't get online properly I haven't been able to test incoming
    > connections.

    <remainder snipped>

    Have you done a tcpdump of the interface? I ran into a problem on my
    home system where my ISP's brain-dead web server can't handle the new
    kernel's piggybacked FIN on the last data frame. A tcpdump of the
    interface should tell you who's not paying attention to what.

    -ps
    --
    Snail-Mail: Paul Schmidt (Code 6067, Bldg 2036)
    NAVSURFWARCENDIV CRANE

    The consummate leader cultivates the moral law, and strictly adheres
    to method and discipline; thus it is in his power to control success.
    - Sun Tzu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.020 / U:89.428 seconds]