SubjectRe: TCP hangs over PPP on kernel 2.2.1, ok on 2.0.36
Franklin Johnson wrote:

> All of this works fine on 2.0.36 with similar kernel config options.
>
> I've installed kernel 2.2.1 and it boots just fine. My local network (on
> 192.168.1.0) works great.
>
> But TCP doesn't seem to function over the PPP interface. I can ping and
> traceroute hosts all over the place without a problem but if I try to
> telnet to a host the connection hangs after "Escape character is '^]'."
> Ftp exhibits just about the same behavior. Netstat reports established
> connections and ifconfig shows incoming and outgoing packets with no
> errors. When telnet is killed, netstat shows a fin_wait1 like forever.
> Since I can't get online properly I haven't been able to test incoming
> connections.

<remainder snipped>

Have you done a tcpdump of the interface? I ran into a problem on my
home system where my ISP's brain-dead web server can't handle the new
kernel's piggybacked FIN on the last data frame. A tcpdump of the
interface should tell you who's not paying attention to what.

-ps
--
Snail-Mail: Paul Schmidt (Code 6067, Bldg 2036)
NAVSURFWARCENDIV CRANE

The consummate leader cultivates the moral law, and strictly adheres
to method and discipline; thus it is in his power to control success.
- Sun Tzu