SubjectRe: SLOW SLOW SLOW tar with 2.2.0
Date

> > A quick fix is to remove any mention of NIS out of the /etc/nsswitch.conf
> file
>
> or disable the nis option is /etc/host.conf.
>
> --
> Alexandre Hautequest
> hquest@linuxbr.com.br
> ICQ 8563517
> "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me. But they
> try..."

A general question non directly related to the kernel.

We have here at work a group NIS map with ~ 1000 entries.
To make things go faster (logging, su, ls, etc.), we
removed 'nisplus' and 'nis' from the group line in
nsswitch.conf and run :

$ cp -f /etc/group-orig /etc/group+
$ ypcat group >>/etc/group+
$ mv -f /etc/group+ /etc/group

each time the group NIS map is modified (and regularly
every night through a cron).

If we don't do that, each file access last a long time,
with a lot of request towards our NIS server (Note that
we have to do that for our FreeBSD, NetBSD, SGI, etc.
machines, the only machine that deal correctly with
big NIS map beeing the SunOS and Solaris ones).

Is there another way to obtain good performance ?
I thought that ypbind with glibc 2.0.7 was OK, but
it seems not, so we get stuck with our hacky solution.

Thanks

A+
--
Thierry Danis