SubjectPoor PPP performance in 2.2.x
There was some discussion of poor PPP performance in the 2.2.x kernels here
last week. The suggested solution was to disable DMA on the hard disk.

I have a Toshiba Portege 3015CT running Debian Slink. I compiled the 2.2.0
and 2.2.1 kernels and they run great... EXCEPT that I still have the PPP
problem. This machine does have a UDMA hard disk, so I tried disabling DMA
on the disk. This did not fix the problem. I tried the other settings
with hdparm, too, turning everything off and leaving the readahead at just
2. This did not help at all. I recompiled the kernel to not automatically
turn on DMA as well. The next step would be to disable DMA entirely in the
kernel, I suppose, but it doesn't look like this DMA thing is the answer,
at least for me.

Has anyone got another idea? I am getting the same bytes in the log from
pppd as described previously. I too am seeing lots of errors with "netstat
ppp0". This all worked find with 2.1.125 and 2.0.36. Is it a problem with
pppd? With pcmcia? With the kernel?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.053 / U:24.208 seconds]