SubjectRe: 2.2.2pre2 -- grow_inodes: inode-max limit reached?
Rik van Riel was overheard saying:
: > This is with 2.2.2pre2. What does this message mean?
:
: It means you ran out of inode handles. If you increase
: the number of inodes in /proc/sys/fs/inode-max, then
: you'll be allright.

Ah, okay. That makes more sense. I couldn't figure out why I was getting
this error when I had a huge number of inodes left on the partition (relatively
speaking). Is it possible to get this value to dynamically grow? I'm sure
this has been asked before but, to be honest, I never realized the implications.

: > Is it fatal and should I reboot the system?
:
: It's not fatal and there's absolutely no need to reboot
: your system. Relax, you're not dependant on Redmond any
: more...

And glad of it. So if I don't have to reboot and the "warning" occurs
presumably because a program needs to create an inode then what happens? Does
it create one anyway or does it wait until one if freed?

--
Matthew Harrell I don't suffer from insanity -
Simulation Technology Division, SAIC I enjoy every minute of it.