SubjectRe: Duplicate routes (temp fix patch)
On 18 Feb 1999, Rani Assaf wrote:

> On 18 Feb 1999 22:21:35 +0100, Richard B. Johnson
> <root@chaos.analogic.com> wrote:
> > Until the kernel delete/add route code gets fixed so there are
> > not duplicate routes necessitating duplicate deletes until they
>
> Once again: there is no duplicate routes in the kernel! It's just that
> 'route' command doesn't see the attributes that make the difference...
>
> You usally get those 'duplicate' when you add a route to the networks
> attached to your own interfaces. And asking to delete those route
> shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Or it means that you put a
> wrong netmask!
>

> Rani

Wrong! The netmask is correct. So is the one written automatically when
the interface was set up. Look in /proc.

Futher, the routing and netmask must be changed on most real remote
systems when a ppp link is started and when it is torn down if you
ppp-link to a server that is going to become the default route for
a LAN. This is how you get internet connectivity for more than the
machine on the ppp link.

When my ppp link is running, my machine at work routes a small
group of my home machines with a netmask of 255.255.255.128.
My machines are grouped in the lower numbers of the network so
routed.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.1 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Wisdom : It's not a Y2K problem. It's a Y2Day problem.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.065 / U:0.576 seconds]