    SubjectSound problems, Scsi CDDA ripping. 2.2+

    I'm having a problem on three computers, where the computer refuses to
    play sound. I suspect that the sound driver allocates the DMA every time
    the audio device is opened inseted of when the driver is loaded, this is
    not acceptiable with the current state of Linuxes VM.

    On these systems, CDparanoia is used to read CDDA audio data from plextor
    SCSI cdrom drives (on aic7xxx scsi controlers). Ocassionally audio is
    played via /dev/dsp. This works fine for a while, but eventually the sound
    driver starts reporting "Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer". Sound
    is NOT autoloaded.

    if you retry a number of times, it will eventually work, or if you dd
    if=/dev/zero bs=bignumber of=/dev/null.

    So it seems to me the issue would be solved by allocating the dma buffer
    at module load then loading the modules at boot.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:3.628 / U:0.044 seconds]