SubjectRe: 2.2.1 - Toshiba Tecra Bug Again
Date
Followup to:  <36CC98D1.EC249396@indranet.co.nz>
By author: Andrew McGregor <andrew@indranet.co.nz>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> An interesting one:
> I compiled 2.2.1 twice on my machine (Toshiba Tecra 780 DVD), onve with
> gcc 2.7.2.3 and once with "gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3
> release)".
> The gcc version boots and runs fine.
> The egcs version says "uncompressing kernel" and halts!
> Both were bzImages.
> This seems to be the old Tecra bug again, but why should it depend on
> the compiler since that bit of code is supposed to be in assembler
> anyway?
>
> (For those who don't remember: The bzImage boot code uses the keyboard
> controller to get access to 'high memory' in real mode, and it wasn't
> waiting long enough for the Tecra's incredibly slow keyboard controller
> to do its work. The Tecra keyboard controller is slow enough to make
> most Windows action games, especially Unreal, unplayable! I can't type
> fast enough to cause it a problem, though.)

The strange part about all of this is that the current bzImage code
actually tests memory and waits until it is positively disambiguated.
Yet, there seems to still be machines which have problems. WTF??

-hpa

--
"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. There
are, and will be, large numbers of applications available for it."