    SubjectRe: fsync on large files
    Date
    > Only in name. Let's not fool ourselves. The only cross-platform filesystem
    > out there is the MSDOS filesystem (and NFS - but network filesystems are
    > inherently different when it comes to "crossplatform" issues), and ext2
    > isn't even in the running.

    Only in name ? Tell that to the Debian Hurd project. Also people who routinely
    boot between OS/2 and Linux or use ext2fs under Acorn RISCOS to share their
    filestore would find "." missing a little inconvenient. Oh you can do it.
    Novell doesnt have a real "." and "..". The novell 3 bugs with . and ..
    handling speak volumes for why this was a bad idea.

    > Start thinking ten years down the road, and think "how do I avoid the
    > complexity issue"? Then, after you've given that some serious thouhgt,
    > come back to me about this all.

    I have. A lot of what is going on now is right. The problem is there is a
    Linus tendancy to go "No way ever" not "I can't see how we can do this
    cleanly". Linus Torvalds is not god, and pronouncing blindly from on high
    is a bad idea.

    You could much more productively have said

    "Stephen please call it ext3 because ....."

    "I can't see a way to use all 4Gig of memory so for now I'm working on the
    basis its not likely to occur"

    Free Software works a darn sight better when the response to something is
    not "No, go away" but "I don't believe you can do it, show me.."

    Im sure the latter is what you really mean in mosty cases, but it doesn't
    come across that way.

    Personally I'm pretty sure that in 5 years time Linux will support very
    large amounts of RAM, a lot of processors, direct DMA I/O on file systems
    concurrent writes to a file and journalling.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.021 / U:0.244 seconds]