SubjectRe: fsync on large files
Date
  uixjjji1@umail.furryterror.org (Zygo Blaxell) writes:

> The people who wrote syslogd with that "safety" feature were university
> grad students who have consistently demonstrated a lack of understanding
> of real-world computer issues including performance, security, and
> administration over the last decade. Their coding was atrocious and they
> failed to do some basic research on the API's they were using in a few
> notorious cases.

Right. Like "we'll use a long for FD_SET". Or "After an accept(),
we immediately do a blocking read() from the new socket".

Or in fact the "Linux doesn't have datagram sockets, so we'll hack syslogd
to use stream sockets, instead of implementing the datagram stuff in the
kernel" mentality, which thankfully seems to be a thing of the past, these
days.

--
Matthias Urlichs | noris network GmbH | smurf@noris.de | ICQ: 20193661