SubjectRe: fsync on large files
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > kinds of major fs modifications - call it "ext3" and after a year or so of
> > > in-production use we can drop ext2.
> >
> > And funnily enough the instructions for applying his patch start
> > "copy fs/ext2 to fs/ext3 then..."
>
> Good. Then don't go around calling it ext2 any more. I don't want
> to have people even _wondering_ about the stability of the central
> Linux filesystem.

That is a good point and I believe Stephen has taken this path
from the early start of his patches.

> I would also suggest that Stephen actually drop ext2 altogether.
> There's just too much historical stuff in most filesystems -
> things like having "." and ".." in directories,

Since ext2 is a multiplatform FS and it performs quite well
for most workloads, I think it's a decent basis for advanced
FS work.

Besides, there already _is_ a new and advanced filesystem,
Reiserfs (which will be incorporating some of Stephen's
stuff once reiserfs itself is stable).

> I think that if people are doing a new filesystem, it should be
> done like "ext2" was originally done: by designing a new one,
> rather than building more scaffolding on top of an old one.

Hmm, do I hear the Linus vs. Tanenbaum: "Linux is obsolete"
thread reviving... :)

Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?