    SubjectRe: APM-Bios: No poweroff on Gigabyte m/b w/ Suspend to disk in BIOS

    > Hi everybody!
    > I have a problem long since with APM support, in particular with
    > power-off function:
    > The computer is an Pentium i586 MMX-233/66, with a motherboard
    > Gigabyte GA-586-ATX (chipset Intel TX).
    > When I bought it, installed Linux and it was able to power-off the
    > machine when halting the system (APM support compiled in the kernel).
    > But then, since I had problems with the board due to the installation of
    > more RAM, I had to flash-upgrade the BIOS (several times through the
    > year). With one of these upgrades and with newer versions of the BIOS it
    > never powered-off when halting again (but with M$ Windoze it still does!
    > I discovered the problem was in the BIOS, since flash-downgrading
    > it to previous versions, it worked again. The cause: the manufacturers of
    > the BIOS (it is AWARD, modified by Gigabyte) had included a 'feature'
    > the new version: "Suspend to Disk". Supposedly, this means that when
    > suspending the computer, the contents of the main memory and registers of
    > the CPU will be stored in the hard disk, in a part created ad hoc, and
    > then, it will power-off. Next time you power-up the computer, it will
    > resume the previous state of execution by reading the contents of the
    > into main memory & CPU's registers.

    On my CTX EzBook with Phoenix APM BIOS, with suspend to disk, I had to
    create the partition with an included utility before it would work. This
    may seem like a dumb question, but does the documentation mention something

    Matthew D. Pitts

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.021 / U:13.472 seconds]