    SubjectRe: fsync on large files
    Olaf Titz <> writes:
    > > The real fix for this problem would be to use a syslogd which uses datagram
    > > sockets instead. (Both libc5 and glibc understand them.)
    > Which means, when syslogd is really overloaded, silently throwing away
    > half of the messages. Hmph.

    The current way of doing things is worse, because I can cause syslogd to
    silently throw away _all_ messages (from processes which haven't syslogged
    anything before).

    Simply open /dev/log until you run out of file descriptors. Repeat that
    until you run out of process slots. If that still falls short (some sites
    do have restrictive ulimits), connect to an inetd-based service and cause
    its server to syslog something (but not die); I assume there are servers
    which can be convinced to do this.

    Repeat until successful.

    If you're concerned about lossage, then make unix-domain sockets nonblocking.
    Shouldn't be too difficult...

    Matthias Urlichs | noris network GmbH | | ICQ: 20193661
    The quote was selected randomly. Really. |
    In the factory, we make cosmetics. In the store, we sell hope.
    -- Charles Revson

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.022 / U:5.104 seconds]