    Subject(ia32) vmalloc/ioremap
    Hi,

    Has anyone noticed that vmalloc()/ioremap() seem to be
    overly complicated procedures? Basically, vmalloc_area_pages()/
    remap_area_pages() might be getting called on an until now unused
    kernel virtual address, for which a kernel page table needs to be
    allocated. set_pgdir() takes care of this by:
    1. updating the page directory of each running task.
    2. updating the cached free page directories on each cpu.

    It seems to me that we could do away with the complexity of set_pgdir
    if we were to allocate a few kernel page tables at kernel startup
    time, have the kernel page directory entries for swapper_pg_dir
    mapping the vmalloc area point to these kernel page tables and have
    those be copied to every new page directory in the system. Of course,
    the whole vmalloc area (VMALLOC_START .. VMALLOC_END) would take too
    many kernel page tables probably, so we would need to resize the
    vmalloc area to something more easily handled, say 32M on a 64M
    system (or any other heuristic), which requires 8 kernel page table
    pages.

    Has this been discussed before, or are there any problems with this
    approach I am not thinking about? This approach could be applied for
    other architectures too, since a lot of asm*/pgtable.h's seem to
    have the same implementation of set_pgdir. If this is an acceptable
    idea, I could code something up ...

    Kanoj

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.019 / U:0.780 seconds]