    SubjectRe: [patch] shrink inode fs-lowlevel memory when low on memory
    On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

    >on inode level. Icache can keep inodes for some time after the last dcache
    >reference went away. It makes sense, since it saves us a read_inode() if

    Ok, but which are the cases the dentry go away while the inode pointed by
    the dentry is still perfectly valid? Here I can't see any kind of icache
    problem. In the code I seen that d_invalidate(entry) try to prune the
    dentries of the subdirs of `entry', but I have not clear how
    d_invalidate() is used.

    Here number of unused inodes is still close to 0 as usual:

    andrea@laser:/usr/src/linux/fs$ cat /proc/sys/fs/dentry-state
    0 22529 45 0 0 0
    andrea@laser:/usr/src/linux/fs$ cat /proc/sys/fs/inode-nr
    8205 8
    andrea@laser:/usr/src/linux/fs$ cat /proc/sys/fs/inode-max
    8192

    This with a perfectly normal system usage.

    I have no problem in rejecting my first patch when I'll understand which
    are the cases that impacts the icache. I'll search better for them this
    evening...

    Thanks.

    Andrea Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.023 / U:176.588 seconds]