    SubjectRe: [patch] shrink inode fs-lowlevel memory when low on memory
    On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

    >on inode level. Icache can keep inodes for some time after the last dcache
    >reference went away. It makes sense, since it saves us a read_inode() if

    Ok, but which are the cases the dentry go away while the inode pointed by
    the dentry is still perfectly valid? Here I can't see any kind of icache
    problem. In the code I seen that d_invalidate(entry) try to prune the
    dentries of the subdirs of `entry', but I have not clear how
    d_invalidate() is used.

    Here number of unused inodes is still close to 0 as usual:

    andrea@laser:/usr/src/linux/fs$ cat /proc/sys/fs/dentry-state
    0 22529 45 0 0 0
    andrea@laser:/usr/src/linux/fs$ cat /proc/sys/fs/inode-nr
    8205 8
    andrea@laser:/usr/src/linux/fs$ cat /proc/sys/fs/inode-max

    This with a perfectly normal system usage.

    I have no problem in rejecting my first patch when I'll understand which
    are the cases that impacts the icache. I'll search better for them this

    Andrea Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.019 / U:34.956 seconds]