SubjectVIA/Sound DMA crashes
On Fri, Jan 01, 1999 at 05:42:05AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > there - a solid hang when releasing the sound device. (At least, that's
> > where I assume it is; it randomly hangs when it completes playing a sound
> > file.) I've been trying to fix it, but about the only positive thing I can
> > report is that I haven't yet made it worse. :)
>
> Which card ?
>
> You are probably looking for disable_dma/enable_dma in close succession or
> some kind of problem with disabling a DMA channel that is still sending
> data. I've yet to figure quite what the VIA bug is

Well, it has become apparent that I have neither the skills nor the time
to do anything about this. I have come up with the following patch, which
seems, at least, to reduce the frequency of the crashes -- but I'm not
totally sure if that's really the case, or if it's just my wishful thinking.
I have included it on the off chance that it might be helpful, in some way,
in coming up with a better solution.

Anyways, the card is a PAS16D.

I will be unsubscribing from the list shortly due to lack of time, but
if anyone comes up with a potential solution to this, I will be happy
to test it if someone sends it my way.

BTW, does anyone know if the MVP3 chipset is affected by this problem?
Does it appear when using PCI sound cards?

--
-Sean Connor (sec@konatsu.ml.org)
(sec@cableregina.com) ,,,,

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.064 / U:0.164 seconds]