SubjectRe: What I suspect
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> Your suggestion would make that not work any more, if the original system
> was installed with "sysenter".

Wrong. And I've already explained this. There are functions in place
for just these kind of situations since they come up whether you want
it or not.

> Note that the _real_ reason I originally wanted this is because I hate
> having the sigreturn trampoline on the stack. It's ugly, and is
> conceptually really wrong - the stack shouldn't have to be executable.

If you would use a recent library you'd see that unless the user does
something stupid there is always a sigreturn handler installed. No
signal handler on the stack.

> The same thing is also useful for generating efficient "memcpy()" etc -
> without having to have different libraries for MMX etc. How were you
> planning on handling that without making process startup slower?

It's already implemented. Similar to Sun's scheme. And it's possible
to completely disable it if you don't need it.

--
---------------. drepper at gnu.org ,-. 1325 Chesapeake Terrace
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA