    SubjectRe: What I suspect
    In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.9912080840210.1474-100000@penguin.transmeta.com>,
    Lin
    us Torvalds writes:
    +-----
    | On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, David S. Miller wrote:
    | > It's not an odd event. It's a feature... Say you want to provide
    | > your own special malloc, your strong "malloc" symbol now not only
    | > overrides the global references to the "malloc" symbol in the binary
    | > itself, but also all of those global references within libc too (and
    | > all other shared libraries you load, even via dl_open()). If you want
    | > to override any and all malloc activity (and this is useful for
    | > malloc/free leak debuggers like electric fence for example) this
    | > global weak overriding mechanism is the way it can be done.
    |
    | The above case you can KNOW at link-time. Your linker can (and will)
    +--->8

    Say I want to enable malloc checking at runtime. I use LD_PRELOAD for
    that... whoops! Doesn't work. In fact, the best I can hope for is complete
    ineffectiveness: it is likely to cause complete breakage, if some things
    use my LD_PRELOAD'ed malloc() et al. and others use the standard one.

    --
    brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.021 / U:29.124 seconds]