    SubjectRe: Linux headed for disaster?
       Date:   Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:36:37 -0800 (PST)
    From: jg@pa.dec.com (Jim Gettys)

    This situation has been changing rapidly over the last 2 years. Most
    vendors are now forthcoming with specs, and sometimes code, and
    sometimes even hardware samples, often in advance of the hardware
    hitting the market.

    So I think this opinion is being overtaken by events. Competition is
    a good thing: since some vendors now "do the right thing" it seems likely
    all will in finite time.

    Also, disks are getting larger and cheaper. So it's much more
    reasonable to assume that the distribution will install a C compiler
    either by default, or strongly recommend that the user installs a C
    compiler. So once we establish a standard mechanism by which
    independing source kernel modules can be linked against the kernel (and
    that means a standard place to find the kernel include files, and making
    sure that the standard kernel include files are installed and match with
    the kernel which was installed), we'll be able to have hardware
    manufacturers ship drivers with their hardware in such a fashion that it
    can be easily installed on the user's Linux systems, hopefully no matter
    which distribution or which Linux kernel version (within limits) that
    the user has installed.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:31.452 seconds]