    SubjectRe: NFS locking
    > Hi!
    > NFS locking does not seem to work with Linux clients and Solaris
    > server. The fcntl locking request returns ENOLCK and in the kernel log
    > the following lines are printed:
    > Dec 7 15:58:27 bcica kernel: nsm_mon_unmon: rpc failed, status=-13
    > Dec 7 15:58:27 bcica kernel: lockd: failed to monitor
    > Locking does work on Solaris clients, with the same server.
    > Should this work or not?

    It should (and does, I just verified it last week, Solaris 2.6 server).

    Likely you are missing statd on either or both machines. I'm guessing
    that it's missing on the Solaris box as Sun's statd could be used to
    exploit certain "features" of the automounter to gain root access unless
    it was run as a user other than root. Recently, Sun released a patch
    to fix this, however now statd will not start unless it is started by
    root... Another possibility is a paranoid admin. Use rpcinfo to verify
    that you can talk to statd and lockd on the server (and that the server
    can talk to statd and lockd on your box).

    Anders Hammarquist |
    Physics student | Hem: +46 31 47 69 27
    Chalmers University of Technology, G|teborg, Sweden | Mob: +46 707 27 86 87

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.021 / U:9.552 seconds]