    SubjectRe: spin_unlock optimization(i386)
    Gerard Roudier wrote:
    > In my opinion, 2 agents that write to the same location (current_state)
    > without any synchronisation can only mess up any kind of ordering that
    > applies to the view of all agents observing a single agent.

    Speaking about messing up; also writing to 2 bytes located after each
    other by 2 processors can mess up things. On a Sparc processor for

    char dummy[2];

    when processor 1 writes to dummy[0] at the same time as processor 2
    writes to
    dummy[1], you'll get into trouble.

    Ehrm, I'm not sure why I wrote it down here since it has nothing to do
    with the
    thread. Sorry for that, probably my ego needing some boost.

    Folkert van Heusden
    some e-mail addresses:,
    mobile phone: +31-6-22390057

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.024 / U:39.716 seconds]