SubjectRe: Linux headed for disaster?
In <85256840.00653147.00@ext-notes.memco.com> sergey@memco.com (sergey@memco.com) wrote:

> Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> on 12/05/99 01:17:00 PM

> To: KendallB@scitechsoft.com (Kendall Bennett)
> cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu (bcc: Sergey Tsybanov/San Jose/Memco
> Software)

> Subject: Re: Linux headed for disaster?

> Alan Cox wrote:

>>Not really. The binary format is dependant on compiler, architecture, SMPness
>>and a dozen other things. The source is not.

> Well, normally kernel should not depend on SMPness ( Solaris or Sequent
> DYNIX/PTX).

Yes, Solaris kernel does not depend on SMPness. And linux is noticeable
faster on UP SPARC. Think about this :-)

> Also if we are talking about hardware drivers then where is dependence on
> architecture by definition because hardware usally depends on architecture.

Not at all. You can easily put A LOT OF PCI devices in Alpha computer. Or in
Mac. But only if you have portable drivers, of course...

> And there is the problem here. Interface between hardware and software is part
> of intellectual property. Some vendors don't want to share it with competitors.
> To design a good interface is much harder than to implement an existing one.
> The ind. binary format is a way to magnet such vendors. BTW Do we have a
> statistics
> how many vendors really wrote their drivers for Linux and public these source
> codes ?
> And how many did not ?

Most current drivers for Linux was not created by vendors anyway. But it's
changing.

>>Binary compatibility killed windows
>>Windows 98 could have been a much nicer OS without back compatibility. I see
>>no reason to kill Linux by re-enacting proprietary OS history with a free
>>OS.

> Well, windows is still alive B-). I have been looking a TV by using
> a Matrox Marvel TV on Win 98. When Matrox would write a driver for LINUX ?
> The answer is NEVER B-(((.

Let's wait and see :-)

> And I did not hear about a publication of full specification of that card
> ( May be I am not right here ).

Not yet. But the same was said about 3dfx and SBLive! just year ago. Now all
specifications and source code are open :-))

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.085 / U:0.128 seconds]