From: Ph. Marek [mailto:marek@bmlv.gv.at]
Sent: Monday, December 06, 1999 9:37 AM
To: Gregory Maxwell
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: high bandwidth server - bridging?

>> Assume that I have a server with very simple network services and only a
>> few dozen clients, but slow network hardware (eg. 16MBit-TR).
>> To serve faster, I want to give it more than 1 network card (cpu fast
enough).

>Are these cards (and clients) going to be on seperate rings or ports on a
>token switch?
>
>If not, then this will do you no good.
of course on different msau's (rings).

>> But: to the clients it should be seen as 1 server and 1 ip-adress
>> (broadcasting required).
>> As far as I understood it, "ethernet"-bridging would solve my problem.
but:
>> is that supported with TR? how to use it? I looked in the Ethernet- and
>> Firewall&Bridging-Mini-Howtos, but couldn't find a good explanation how
>> use it.
>
>No, what you are talking about is channel bonding, 'ethernet bridging'
>would be making your system look like a layer-2 ethernet switch.

well, I read that the bridging code "make the lan's appear as if they were
1 big lan".

In yet another mini-howto I read: <<

A bridge should not have an IP address. It CAN, but a plain bridge
doesn't need one.
Once the system is back up, put the ethernet cards into promiscuous
mode, so they will look at every packet that passes by its
interface:

>> So is it possible to give ONE adapter an ip-adress but not the other?

sounds interesting.

I'll have to give it a try when I get some time ... maybe after christmas.

thanks so far.

Ph.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.031 / U:0.188 seconds]