    From: Ph. Marek []
    Sent: Monday, December 06, 1999 9:37 AM
    To: Gregory Maxwell
    Subject: Re: high bandwidth server - bridging?

    >> Assume that I have a server with very simple network services and only a
    >> few dozen clients, but slow network hardware (eg. 16MBit-TR).
    >> To serve faster, I want to give it more than 1 network card (cpu fast
    >Are these cards (and clients) going to be on seperate rings or ports on a
    >token switch?
    >If not, then this will do you no good.
    of course on different msau's (rings).

    >> But: to the clients it should be seen as 1 server and 1 ip-adress
    >> (broadcasting required).
    >> As far as I understood it, "ethernet"-bridging would solve my problem.
    >> is that supported with TR? how to use it? I looked in the Ethernet- and
    >> Firewall&Bridging-Mini-Howtos, but couldn't find a good explanation how
    >> use it.
    >No, what you are talking about is channel bonding, 'ethernet bridging'
    >would be making your system look like a layer-2 ethernet switch.

    well, I read that the bridging code "make the lan's appear as if they were
    1 big lan".

    In yet another mini-howto I read: <<

    A bridge should not have an IP address. It CAN, but a plain bridge
    doesn't need one.
    Once the system is back up, put the ethernet cards into promiscuous
    mode, so they will look at every packet that passes by its

    >> So is it possible to give ONE adapter an ip-adress but not the other?

    sounds interesting.

    I'll have to give it a try when I get some time ... maybe after christmas.

    thanks so far.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.021 / U:41.164 seconds]