From: Gregory Maxwell [mailto:greg@linuxpower.cx]
Sent: Monday, December 06, 1999 9:18 AM
To: Ph. Marek
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: high bandwidth server - bridging?

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Ph. Marek wrote:

> Assume that I have a server with very simple network services and only a
> few dozen clients, but slow network hardware (eg. 16MBit-TR).
> To serve faster, I want to give it more than 1 network card (cpu fast
enough).

Are these cards (and clients) going to be on seperate rings or ports on a
token switch?

If not, then this will do you no good.

> But: to the clients it should be seen as 1 server and 1 ip-adress
> (broadcasting required).
> As far as I understood it, "ethernet"-bridging would solve my problem.
but:
> is that supported with TR? how to use it? I looked in the Ethernet- and
> Firewall&Bridging-Mini-Howtos, but couldn't find a good explanation how to
> use it.

No, what you are talking about is channel bonding, 'ethernet bridging'
would be making your system look like a layer-2 ethernet switch.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.076 / U:0.640 seconds]