    SubjectRe: over 5Gb missing from a 13.5Gb disk

    On 06-Dec-1999 Wichert Akkerman wrote:
    > Previously Kristofer T. Karas wrote:
    >> Try playing around with the disk geometry parameters in
    >> your BIOS to change the large/normal/lba setting until you achieve
    >> those values.
    > Unfortunately that's not an option with my BIOS.. it doesn't even show
    > you what it thinks the disk geometry is. I'm also not convinced that
    > that is the problem, since the exact same number is also printed
    > on the disk itself..
    >> (But note: if you have Windoze installed, you'll need to back up your
    >> disk and reinstall, as it changes the mappings!)
    > It's a new and still empty disk, so I don't mind..

    I have had a similar problem for quite a while with a much smaller disk (4.3
    GB). The BIOS does not want to translate it properly for some reason so it ends
    up having above 14000 cyls.

    I would suggest to try the following - force the number of heads, cylinders,
    tracks to a proper value before partitioning using the fdisk extended options
    (x - expert mode).

    I think that you will start seeing the entire disk but I doubt that you will be
    able to boot from it. If the disk is secondary it is a way out ;-)

    Disclaimer: have not tried this on a 13G+ yet.

    - ----------------------------------
    Anton R. Ivanov
    IP Engineer Level3 Communications
    RIPE: ARI2-RIPE E-Mail: Anton Ivanov <>
    @*** Worker's Dilemma Law (or Management's Put-Down Law) ***
    1) No matter how much you do, you'll never do enough.
    2) What you don't do is always more important than
    what you do do.

    Version: GnuPG v1.0.0 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: For info see

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:14.904 seconds]