SubjectRe: Linux headed for disaster?
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> > Actually this is not the case. I will be building mechanisms to
> > support binary loadble drivers for our products into the Linux
> > kernels, and making those available as patches. I truly believe such
>
> > However I am upset by the notion that the GPL nature of the Linux
> > kernel source can and is being used to force hardware vendors to
> > release Open Sourcce drivers because they have no other option. Not
>
> You appear to have taken to contradicting yourself within emails now as well
> as between them.

Sorry, but the above is not a contradition. In the first paragraph I
am talking about changes we would make to the kernel so that our
*software* product can work better. We would not be dependent on
anyone else to build or certify this product, since it is purely
software.

In the second paragraph I am talking about the fact that a *hardware*
vendor who wishes to support Linux has no option but to be forced
into release sources to their drivers. Hardware vendors can't go
around building their own Linux distributions, because they need
their hardware and drivers to work with all Linux distributions, and
the *only* way to do that is to get the sources into the Linux kernel.

I fail to see why you can't make the above distinction?

Regards,

| SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software! |
| Kendall Bennett | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com |
| Director of Engineering | Phone: (530) 894 8400 |
| SciTech Software, Inc. | Fax : (530) 894 9069 |
| 505 Wall Street | ftp : ftp.scitechsoft.com |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA | www : http://www.scitechsoft.com |