    SubjectRe: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)
    Date
    Richard Gooch writes the following:

    >This misses the point. The proposed change would require me to make my
    >inodes writable by others in order to let them make hard links. That's
    >much worse than the problem you're concerned about.

    If you environment is sufficiently non-hostile that you don't worry about the
    other users doing nasty things to you, then why don't you just give everybody
    the root password?

    >If you run an ISP with shell accounts, and you're concerned about
    >users fouling up others' quotas, set up a simple shell script:
    > foreach user
    > find ~user ! -user $user -exec rm -f {} \;

    That's a good enough solution for now.

    >Maybe even a mount option to prevent non-owner linking to inodes would
    >be acceptable (although I'm not convinced the "problem" is serious
    >enough to merit this). But the proposal I've been hearing is basically
    >a forced change for everyone, and that's not on.

    I missed the start of this thread so I don't know what the original proposal
    was. But if there was a mount option to disallow linking a file you can't
    write, I'd use it. Sooner or later a "go through the system and link
    everything" script will show up on a scriptkidddie site and then it will be a
    real problem for people using quotas.

    But the fact that we don't have a working revoke() is the more important
    problem. Forget local attacks. What about telnet to port 80, type GET
    /~user/bigassgif.gif, and hit ^]^Z so the transfer will never finish? rm
    needs some teeth for such situations.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:0.816 seconds]