    SubjectRe: Unexecutable Stack / Buffer Overflow Exploits...
    On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
    > In any case, I suspect that if something randomly added some random
    > value between 0 and 128k to the stack pointer at startup time, it would
    > also go a fairly long way towards thwarting overrun attacks --- but make
    > no mistake, it's still only papering over the problem.

    But is "it wont work 100% of the time" a good enough reason to discard the
    idea out of hand entirely? The fact we cant raise the bar infinitely high
    means we shouldnt raise it even a little?

    If thats the argument being put forth, then we might as well apply the
    exact same argument to crypto and discard IDEA PGP RSA etc since none of
    those are 100% of the time either (just very very hard).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.028 / U:16.212 seconds]