SubjectRE: fork bomb:the come back
Date

> > There was a Coke machine at a university somewhere that
> would tell you
> > how many cans and whatnot were left at one point or another, I
> seem to recall.
> > Yes, over the internet (Or that may have been arpanet, not sure. :) ).
>
> Maybe or maybe not. Still I think the not connected will always be in
> the overwhelming majority.
>
> --Marcin

And I'm sure 8 years ago, you would have though that not connected desktop
machines would always be in the overwhelming majority. I think in 30 years
or less, the idea of a computer that wasn't connected to every other
computer will seem strange.

How will you control it when you're not there? How will you access its
results or status? How will you know if it's not healthy?

I know a company that has all their industrial knitting machines on the
Internet. The guy who runs the company can dial into his ISP and check if
his production is on schedule. If he doesn't have samples on hand that he
needs, he can schedule them to be knitted. His customers can access that
same data to confirm that he is in fact on their agreed upon schedule. And
from home, he can find out whether expected supplies have been received or
not, and if not when that'll impact his production schedule.

If there are any anomalies, he gets an email. Anomalies can include all
sorts of things. For example, if a machine faults, people on the floor are
supposed to fix it. If it stays faulted too long, he gets an email that
includes who was on rotation for that part of the floor at that time. If
someone stops the machine and it stays stopped for too long, he gets an
email.

He stays home a lot more now than he used to.

DS

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.054 / U:0.084 seconds]