SubjectRE: keep-alive doesn't seem to work on 2.3.13
On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, David Schwartz wrote:

> > Everything runs fine, 8.5 megabytes/second on a dedicated 100Mb line.
> > If I disconenct the wire, I would expect that either the server or
> > the client would give up and return an error code within some
> > reasonable period of time. This is not true. Neither the client nor
> > the server will give up even after 4 days.
> >
> > My Sun, although not obviously configurable, gives up after 2 minutes.
> >
> > Question:
> > How do I make keepalive work?
>
> Keepalive or no keepalive, the send should time out in about 2 minutes.
> (The receiving side may not ever time out without keepalives.) Something is
> very wrong.
>
> DS

Of course I could use select() with a timeout. However, if keepalive
doesn't work, the function should return some kind of error-code.

I think there are a lot of network clients and servers out there that
think that keepalive should be doing something when, in fact, it seems
to be a dummy function. I don't think tcp_keepopen_proc() will ever
wake up a task waiting for write. It sure doesn't look like it and
it doesn't test like it either.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Warning : The end of the world as we know it requires a new calendar.
Seconds : 390092 (until Y2K)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.284 / U:0.008 seconds]