    SubjectRe: [linux-fbdev] i2c and fbcon

    On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, James Simmons wrote:
    > > I have been looking threw the code for i2c. This code could be really
    > > useful for several framebuffer drivers to do things like dual heads. Right
    > > now you only have it initialized right before videodev_init. Could we have
    > > it initialzed before fbmem_init? I have a patch below for this. Thank you.
    >
    > Have you tested this for chicken-and-egg problems?

    At present no fbdev driver uses i2c. So it should be safe to move
    i2c_init_all ahead of fbmem_init without breaking anything. Petr is
    working on a dual head patch for the G400 which requires i2c. Right now it
    has to be compiled as a module for it to work because i2c is initialized
    after fbmem_init.

    There is another solution Petr mentioned.

    >Remove initialization from i2c_init.
    >
    >memset(adapter, 0, sizeof(adapters));
    >memset(drivers, 0, sizeof(drivers));
    >adap_count = 0;
    >driver_count = 0;
    >init_MUTEX(&adap_lock);
    >init_MUTEX(&driver_lock);
    >
    >We can initialize these variables at compile (load) time and i2c is then
    >ready for registration/deregistration since kernel gets SMP & kmalloc
    >working. There is only one problem left after that, procfs will export
    >only adapters/drivers registered after i2c procfs initialization.

    James Simmons (o_
    fbdev/gfx developer (o_ (o_ //\
    http://www.linux-fbdev.org (/)_ (/)_ V_/_
    http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.029 / U:90.800 seconds]