SubjectRe: Bloat? (khttpd)
* Francesco Chemolli said:

> > Even without async bulk file->file support, how close do khttpd
> > performance do you think you can get with phhttpd?
>
> The people working on the Roxen (www.roxen.com) webserver conducted some
> tests.
> Roxen is a single-process webserver, and the tests were conduced using
> some (experimental, but publicly available) features that will go in the
> next release, using an highly optimized backend.
And, one has to add, Roxen outperforms Apache in most areas (no, I have no
numbers - just personal experience)

[snip]
> What I'm trying to say is, we're looking in the wrong place here. True, an
> HTTP server in the kernel might sound good to get more performance, but
> the focus should rather be moved to designing better (userland) software.
Remember that the in-kernel stuff is meant to serve static pages and that
_can_ give a performance boost compared to the userland software.

> This said, if somebody wants to write a kernel HTTPD, I won't try to stop
> him, why should I? I'll just avoid using it :-)
Amen :)))) me too :)))

marek

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.087 / U:0.064 seconds]