    SubjectRe: [HUMOR] Quake 1 source code.
    * Daniel Silverstone (Kinnison) said:
    > > Unfortunatly, if what it's needs to do = what it's users need, and it's
    > > users need Linux to outperform NT at static web serving, then khttpd is
    > > the right thing. Also, it doesn't gunk up the rest of your system if you
    > > arn't using it. So it's not a big deal.
    >
    > But I, who pay for my telephone calls - and only have a 14k4 modem, don't
    > want to even download
    > httpd's for a kernel - especially when I don't want to use them.
    21728B - tarred and gzipped, that's about 5sec on an average modem
    connection - how much would that be in $?? Come on...

    > Fine for them to be in kernel-space as modules - but what's why make them
    > part of the
    > actual kernel tree, making those of us who don't want it, unable to download
    > a kernel tree without it.
    You don't have to download the kernel (it's been said on this list so many
    time, that it's getting boring...) as a monolithic tarball... That's what
    the patches were invented for. Having sources for 1.x you can upgrade to
    2.3.34 - just the patches... So your argument is completely bogus.

    > I use the lm_sensors package with the 2.2.x series to do health monitoring
    > on my motherboard,
    > and am perfectly happy for them to be separate from the main tree, as they
    > compile and work
    > beautifully.
    Good for you.

    [snip]
    > But then again, I would love to be able to split the kernel tree up and make
    > it more modular.
    more? There are few things in the kernel driver tree that are NOT modular.

    > I don't want to be downloading ISDN, Amateur radio, and similar, if I never
    > ever use them.
    > I don't have an ethernet card at home, but have to get all the ethernet
    > sources also :(
    So DON'T DOWNLOAD THEM. Download the patches and live happily.

    marek

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:60.956 seconds]