SubjectRe: printer problem & PSION on Linux
Date
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999,  Stefan BEKE wrote about,  printer problem & PSION on Linux:
> I never had problem with printer in Linux. Until now.
>
> Printer: HP LaserJet 6L
> System: RHL 6.1 (2-12-20)
>
> My printer is not detected. It's, as usual, on LPT1 in Windows. Printing
> works fine under Windows, but in Linux, even if I try print directly to
> port, no success.
> In Windows I had some IRQ conflits so it was necessary to disable USB and
> set these things manually. I don't know how to play with IRQ in Linux. Also
> I thought USB is not supported in Linux and my old cheap SCSI card is not
> supported in Linux. So there should be enough room.
> What could be wrong? Point me somewhere, please.
> Also I'd like to know, how is this done in Linux(IRQ assignment).

I belive redhat-6.1 has the following in its /etc/conf.modules or
modules.conf
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
If not i syuggest you add it.

Now if you type;

modprobe lp
and then try to cat your file to /dev/lp0 then that should work.
Then you can go about trying out the GUI printing stuff.

The kernel you have does have lp compiled as a module.

--
Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl