SubjectRe: Thread-private mappings and graphics (was Re: Per-Processor Data

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > processes memory space. For older ISA cards that use page flipping you
> > could use a page fault trick to make it seem that the framebuffer is
> > linear when it isn't. Since the framebuffer window is 64K when the page
>
> This doesnt work. The DMA is direct, PCI DMA doesnt take page faults,
> only CPU's do that. For sane cards do overlay mode, for stupid cards you
> have to bounce the entire thing, you end up doing a two buffer
>
> grab1 write2 to fb with CPU
> grab2 write1 to fb with CPU
> repeat
>
> loop.

Oops. I should of addressed that in greater detail. I meant that for only
for the framebuffer. Since most video cards don't have OpenGL on chip it
would maximum performace if we allowed a process like a X client grab a
window in the framebuffer to draw directly into. Even if you set the
clipping rectangle on low end video cards so accel coomands will be draw
only in that rectangle a process can get around this by writing to the
framebuffer directly. Braindead yes but it does happen on alot of cards.
So set a hardware clipping rectangle. If you need to draw in the
framebuffer for software rendering the use this so you don't go off
rendering where you shouldn't.

> With ISA cards don't bother. You'll get 5-10fps at best even at low resolution.
> You'd be better off reverse engineering an old DOS era cards drivers and
> writing a feature connector mode card driver for something like the original
> full length hauppauge card

That was aimed at just fbdev. It would be nice if the current X server
for fbdev work on old paged isa cards without X code modification. Here we
don't care about high end graphics.
Their was discussion on the fbdev list also to be able to grab a window
for the video4linux guys. Any comments since youa re the one in charge of
this. What do you need from the fbdev guys to have video4linux work
together?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.068 / U:0.028 seconds]