    SubjectRe: [patch] read[bwl] and ioremap problem

    Linus> On 18 Dec 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:
    >> This patch is clearly wrong, since the Mac doesn't have IDE on an
    >> ISA bus, thus it shouldn't use those macros. However it's not on a
    >> PCI bus either so it shouldn't use readb/writeb in the first place
    >> ;-)

    Linus> readb/writeb do not have to be PCI.

    Linus> Any bus that looks from a sw perspective enough like it might
    Linus> as well be considered "PCI-like". Some of them may or may not
    Linus> need ioremap(). It becomes a problem only if there is a machine
    Linus> that has BOTH a real PCI bus _and_ something else, but with an
    Linus> old m68k mac that doesn't end up being a problem.

    Agreed, however we have m68k boxes that have an ISA bus and another
    bus, where the native bus behaves pretty much like PCI in a PC and the
    ISA bus requiring special treatment on those machines, with weird byte
    order issues, special areas to read from than write from etc. I
    therefore prefer to keep the native busses from using the inb/outb and
    readb/writeb macros and reserve those macros to to do the magic for
    ISA and PCI.

    The Macintosh case is not problematic since I don't think there are
    m68k based with anything but NUBUS.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:1.312 seconds]