    Subjectre: RasterMan on linux and threads
    re http://kernelnotes.org/lnxlists/linux-kernel/lk_9912_03/msg00480.html

    Rasterman is wrong in saying that all threads run on the same
    processor, but everything else he says about threads is spot on:
    unless you have a real good reason to create a thread, don't.
    Ousterhout certainly agrees. See his slides on "Why threads are bad (usually)"
    at http://www.scriptics.com/people/john.ousterhout/

    Earlier in his news page, Raster says:
    > The [imlib2] API changed a lot recently - it's now context based (you set
    > the current context) and it uses that current context for almost all
    > calls. It means many fewer parameters to many calls - but it also means
    > Imlib2 is NOT thread-safe as the context is global. If anyone wants to
    > work on making it thread safe - there's source code and send patches -
    > but I don't see much value in it. Do all your graphics work in 1 thread.

    Wow, deja vu. Right on the heels of Jim Gettys' post on the same subject,
    http://kernelnotes.org/lnxlists/linux-kernel/lk_9912_03/msg00096.html

    Raster, you might want to read Jim's post. X calls use lots of context
    parameters (like old imlib), OpenGL calls use none (like new imlib2), and
    now they both wish they'd used a single one (i.e. an object oriented approach).

    And you might want to modify your statement that threads always run on the same
    CPU...
    - Dan

    --
    (The above is just my personal opinion; I don't speak for my employer,
    except on the occasional talk show.)