    SubjectRe: Very low bandwidth when using knfsd
    On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Christoph Brauckmann wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I am using a Laptop with RedHat-6.1. It is connected via a pcmcia
    > ethernet card (10 MBit) to a Unix network. My wish is to export a
    > directory of the Laptop to a SUN server. The SUN server uses
    > Solaris-2.5.1.
    > I tried two configurations and got the following results:
    > 1. Using knfsd-1.4.7-7
    > ----------------------
    > When transfering a file of 5M bytes from Solaris towards Linux I got a
    > very low bandwidth of less than 4k bytes (k not M!). Some pairs of error
    > messages "NFS server not responding..." and "NFS server OK" appear in
    > the windows on the Solaris machine until the transfer is finished. I put
    > the corresponding /var/log/messages of the Linux box to the end of this
    > mail ("messages.knfsd").

    Oh my... We can't simply release another v2.2.xx kernel with disfunctional
    NFS/KNFSD. Nobody in their right mind doing Linux<->Not-Linux NFS
    have any particular trust in Linux NFS any longer, and if we continue
    releasing broken NFS, people will shy away to *BSD or even commercial
    Unices. If I knew anything about NFS-programming, I'd help, but sadly
    enough, I don't, and I just haven't got the time right now to study the
    NFS spec's.

    But I just don't see a v2.2.14 with non-working KNFSD as worth releasing,
    considering that fixed NFS/KNFSD was one of the major things that #14 would

    It bad enough that Linux NFSv2 write performance is so f**king bad, but if
    it's getting a read-performance of 4k, then... Bugger!

    /David Weinehall
    _ _
    // David Weinehall <> /> Northern lights wander \\
    // Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
    \> </ Full colour fire </

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.021 / U:1.272 seconds]