    SubjectRe: RasterMan on linux and threads
    On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 11:23:48PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:

    > > hmm - when did that change ? i thought that was the case and was baked
    > > up on hat asumtion by someone else a few weeks ago (primarily the
    > > reason being to make sure the threads share caches for speed reasons
    > > and to make sure cache concurrency issues are moe easiyl dealt with...
    > > well thats what i unerstood... i may be wrong (2.2 or 2.3 may have
    > > changed that)
    > No, pthreads changed that, from my understanding. linuxthreads did
    > it all in one thing w/o ever actually calling the kernel 'clone'. pthreads
    > properly calles 'clone' and therefore each thread gets it's own PID and as
    > such can be scheduled on any CPU. (Well, that's not the direct reason, but
    > you know what I mean).

    Not quite. Linuxthreads has always used clone and is an attempt to
    implement the POSIX threading spec. There has been a number of
    pthread implementations over the years that were strictly user space.
    I think there is a GNU threads or something like that which is still a
    user-space pthread implementation.

    > > hmmm - when did that change - i know solarids has them run on multiple
    > > cpu's though...
    > Solaris implemented it kernel-level to begin with. The first
    > threading in Linux was done all in user-space, IIRC. Which meant that it
    > couldn't because a single process (to the kernel) won't get multiple CPUs.

    Solaris and True64 (AIX as well?) have both user-space thread control
    as well as kernel threading which is taken care of by the kernel.
    With these you can switch between being user-space and kernel threads,
    though I don't see the wisdom in this. The philosophy of these other
    platforms are much different than the Linux way of handling threads.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.021 / U:38.348 seconds]