    SubjectRasterMan on linux and threads
    Rant from http://www.rasterman.com/news.html:

    [...]
    Also threads right now under linux all run on the same processor so
    under linux there is NO speed advantage to threads. You just end up
    context switching between lots of threads - a single threaded program
    can do just as well as multi-threaded, so I gave up on my ideas of
    silently spawning threads inside the library to render in paralell. So
    there u have it - threads are pretty usless - if you just think they're
    cool - you're in for a shock - they give little speedup, and just
    introduce lots of concurrency issues that are horrendously hard to debug
    and unless your an expert programmer - you will run into them - so avoid
    threads at all costs.
    [...]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.017 / U:57.360 seconds]