SubjectRe: Arcnet patch for 2.3.33
On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 12:35:44AM +0100, Martin Mares wrote:

> This is my experimental patch to the Arcnet driver in 2.3.33.
>
> Changes:
>
> o Rewrote probing. Static device number limits and kludgy manipulation
> with device lists are forever gone.
> o Adapted to new ISA addressing and resource management in 2.3 kernels.
> o phys_to_virt() calls are gone as well.

Yikes!

I'm glad to see the effort you've put in, but I wish you had contacted me
first. There is a much revised version of the driver available for 2.2.x
kernels:

http://www.worldvisions.ca/~apenwarr/arcnet/

Because of my limited time I haven't had a chance yet, but this was intended
to get ported to 2.3.x soon. All the phys_to_virt and friends are gone from
that version too, although a certain amount of kludgy device list
manipulation remains. In general, however, the 3.80/3.90 series is _much_
less hideous than 3.0x.

I know it's a lot to ask, but while it's fresh in your mind, I would be
truly overwhelmed with joy if you could port the 3.90 driver to 2.3, make
your probing and resource management changes, and use that for your patch
instead. I'd rather not maintain the 3.0x series any further, and someone
who understands the new resource management routines could do the port much
more easily.

Have fun,

Avery

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.153 / U:0.480 seconds]